Saturday, October 20, 2007

Another Sweet Micky Adventure

Last night Sweet Micky held a concert in Aux Cayes. Knowing that Micky and I are now "best buds" the kids all knew that I was going to the concert. Some of the older boys asked if they could go with me... hoping that I would be able to get them in VIP. Feeling pretty confident that I could, I told them they were more than welcome, and last night we all piled into the car and headed to the concert.

Problem- all day I could NOT get a hold of Micky. He had said he wanted to come out to the farm, because he is going to be working with us, but I couldn't seem to reach him. Knowing that he is basically nocturnal, I waited until early afternoon to give him a call, but to no avail... so off we headed hoping to get in.

Outside the Marabu, I still couldn't get Micky on the phone. "Let's but a ticket, and then go in and tell him you are here. Maybe he will get everyone else in," Tigre says. Smart thinking. So he and I purchase tickets, and walk in.

Right away, Micky runs up to me hugs me, and then asks me why I haven't called him?! Oh man. After a "he said, she said" convo, he gives the ok for, "My sweet Paige to let in all her friends."

All my friends think I am really cool. I get to walk up to Micky when I want, walk onto the stage when I want, and get to let in whomever I want. Who is the celebrity here... me or him? I kind of like this treatment. So now, not only do I stick out like a sore thumb, I am being called "Micky's madam"... way to blend in Paige.

Around 2:30 in the morning, realizing that the party is still just getting started, I beg Tigre to go. A little bummed that I can't hang like the rest of the Haitian community, toddlers included, we gather our clan. "Aren't you going to say goodbye to Micky?" Tigre asks me. "Ok, sure."

So I walk up to the bodyguard standing next to the stage, and motion him to open the gate. I walk up on stage in the middle of Micky's performance and tap him on the shoulder. "M'ale..." I shout into his ear as he stops his song.

"Ok, I will give you a call tomorrow. Thanks for coming." He turns back to a crowd of fans waiting for him to resume his performance. I walk off the stage.

The night was a lot of fun. Micky really can get a crowd going. Lots of singing and dancing. Needless to say, I am exhausted today... we didn't get home until 3:00 this morning.

"I told you not to go, Paige. I knew you would be tired today," says Jean Robert as I lay in the hammock in the middle of the afternoon... you're right Jean Robert... one of my 600 brothers looking out for me.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't surprise me that Paige goes up CENTER STAGE without hestitation. Different set of rules in Haiti than U.S.A., huh? Rules or no rules....Paige is still VERY comfortable in the limelight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow paige. now if you could only get that kind of treatment in the states! never going to happen!!! enjoy it while you can....you think your so cool!

    ReplyDelete