Sunday, September 30, 2007

Chub and Church

I woke up this morning to clouds in the sky hinting at rain. By the time it was time for mass, the rain was pouring down. I made my way to church, found a pew that was relatively dry in the back next to a couple of friends, and sat down. Shortly after, my little Chub (actually he is getting quite big) came up to me soaked and wagging his tail. Tigre and I laughed at him, as he curled up underneath our pew and fell asleep.

Halfway through mass, as Father Marc is about to begin his homily, Tigre leans into me and asks, "Kote Chub?" "Mpa kone..." I respond. As I say this, a couple children a few rows up look over at me. Chub had awoken and made his way to the front of the church. Because all the children know he is my dog, they look at me like I am an irresponsible parent. I ignore them, and the dog, and try to focus on Father Marc.

"Ruff!" Chub responds to Father Marc's words... "Ruff! Ruff! Ruff!" Chub is sitting at his feet looking up at Father Marc as he speaks.

In the midst of Father Marc's homily in Creole I hear, "Paige! Your dog is being a pain!"

Now... ALL the congregation is looking at me. I stand up and walk to the front of the church, as Chub decides to make his way to the exit. An older boy grabs him by the scruff and throws him out in the rain.

I quietly walk back to my seat...hoping to go unnoticed... knowing all eyes are on me, and not on Father Marc.

4 comments:

  1. Paige-
    What a beautiful and meaningful gesture for Dr. Cynthia, who has given so much of her time, energy, and specialized training on behalf of Fr. Marc and your friends! I'm sure she was touched by the generous and heartfelt token of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooops!! You better have a good "talking to" with your "child" before church next Sunday. Such a cute story....thanks for the smile. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. auntie pat- its ok that you put this on the wrong page. i understood what you meant. we are so lucky to have dr. cynthia. she is just great. i am going to miss her and her crew when the leave tomorrow. (weather permitting)

    mom- yeah, he is a stinker, but for the most part a really good dog. he does not leave my side. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paige,
    Looks like you are back into the swing of things! Hope your time at home was absolutely wonderful. Chub sounds like an attention getter...needs more and more attention. =) Is the weather changing at all? Any break in heat and humidity? Take care of you. Love ya- Katee

    ReplyDelete