Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Unwanted.


I am going to take a minute to piggy back off of Sandey's latest blog post (www.sandratenutoblog.com) about the prison and Baby Doc.

Honestly, I am confused... and I don't think I am the only one. I am confused about why Baby Doc is back in the country. I am confused about why he decided to come now. I am confused about the positive reaction he is receiving from some people. And I am confused about the non-reaction he is receiving from even more people.

Like Sandey said, there are thousands of prisoners right now rotting away inhumanely in the prisons all over the country, serving an unknown sentence for crimes that don't even compare to his, and Mr. Baby Doc just waltzes right back into the country like Haiti actually missed him... and the thing is... some people act like they have! I don't get it.

Take a look at the picture above. Look at the beauty Sandey captured in setting sun in Haiti. Think about the beauty in the setting sun right outside your own door. Imagine if someone took that away from you. Took away the simple pleasure in enjoying the fresh air and the sunset. Or what about the sunrise? Imagine someone took that away from you. Baby Doc did that to tens of thousands of people during his regime. He took away the sunrise and the sunset. He took away life. And life is still being taken away right now, as we speak, while the prisoners slowly die inside a box.

I love Haiti. I love the people. I love the countryside. I love the food. The music. The work. But sometimes, I just don't understand it.

But it doesn't mean I won't stop trying to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment