Monday, January 17, 2011

Gifts from the Heart

Oftentimes the most meaningful gifts are not extravagant, expensive, and they can fit in the palm of your hand. But they are the most meaningful because they come from the heart.

When I was in college I taught preschool at a little center in Ahwatukee, Arizona. I made quite a few little friends there, but over the years, through no fault of our own, we lost touch. Well, while I was home for Christmas, I was so blessed to be able to reconnect with a couple of my little students- who are not so little anymore. Emily and Claire were 3 and 1 when I last saw them, and now they are 10 and 8, and have become even more beautiful and thoughtful over the years.

Over dinner with the Caviolo family, we talked about Haiti, and my new little friends. Emily and Claire were both so moved by the fact that our little girls here don't really have any toys to play with. They both jumped out of their chairs, ran to their rooms, and returned with handfuls of "Squeenkies" (the next Beanie-Baby I am told). They insisted that I take their cherished Squeenkies (even a couple sparkly ones) back with me to the Espwa girls. They assured me they would be a hit. They were right.


The joy our little ladies felt when they got their small little pets was priceless, and what made it even more special was that they came from little friends in Arizona.


Thank you, Emily and Claire. I promise you your Squeenkies are in good hands. :)

1 comment: